September 22, 2011

I did not fall off the face of the earth...

Just kinda had the wind knocked out of me (pun intended)
We prepped the house and yard for the storm, knowing full well that storms that pass near the Jersey Shore never cause much damage. Winter Nor'Easters are more dangerous to us. So away went the outdoor furniture, plants & pots, ice was made, flashlights and lanterns were gathered. Hurricane party food & drinks were being planned...I almost want to say it was festive?!
My in-laws live on a thin strip of barrier island between the Barnegat Bay and the mighty Atlantic...they were under a mandatory evacuation, so they came to us about 5 miles inland. When all was said & done, they lost a screen off a window.
On the other hand....We lost 3 trees, a shed (that was atrocious anyway), fence, our flag pole. The storm winds dislodged our chimney off of the house allowing water to seep in and flood our living room. We also have a leakage issue in our dining room...not sure what caused that one.
My former house was a 1915 bungalow about 400 feet from the bay and with ancient trees, was spared during every above-mentioned Nor'Easter and/or trop storm. This newer home (30 years), not so lucky (they don't make em' like they used to...)

But, everyone was ok and that is all that counts. "stuff" can be fixed & replaced. So we are going through that process now. We are still dealing with insurance claims & adjusters, but when all is said and done, I will have some projects to plan. That makes me happy :)
My neighbors home was under contract when this tree fell on it. Thank the lord it was vacant. Needless to say, it is back on the market.

PS ~ I miss blogging. I miss my blog friends. I have lots to share over the next few weeks...just trying to get my groove back. Thank you for stopping by xoxox Traci


No comments: