Marvelous meal! I found this recipe via http://www.littlemissmomma.com/. I doubled the recipe and baked it in 2 pans so that I may freeze one for the coming weeks. I served with a small green salad and garlic knots. I urge you to prepare this for your family...even my meat & potato husband loved it. Spicy turkey sausage is the bomb. Do it!!
Sausage, Pasta & Zucchini Bake Turkey
8 ounces of uncooked penne frigate pasta
6 ounces of spicy turkey Italian sausage with the casings removed
2 medium zucchinis
1.5 tsp dried oregano
1 tsp dried thyme
1/4 tsp crushed red pepper (or more to taste)
3 garlic cloves, minced
dash of sugar
2 tblsp red wine vinegar
1 (28 ounce) can of no-salt-added whole tomatoes
2 tablespoons of heavy whipping cream
3 ounces part-skim mozzarella cheese, grated
1 ounce Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese, grated
1. Preheat the oven to 375.
2. Cook penne pasta according to package directions. Drain and set aside.
3. Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium/high heat. Add sausage to the pan. Saute for about 5 minutes or until brown and crumbled. Discard excess fat and remove pasta from the pan. Wipe the remaining drippings from the pan with a paper towel.
4. Dice zucchini and add it to the pan. Saute 3 minutes or until crisp-tender, stirring the entire time. Add the oregano, thyme, crushed red pepper, dash of sugar and the minced garlic. Saute for another minute, stirring constantly. Add the vinegar and cook for another 30 seconds.
5. Crush the tomatoes by hand and add them to the zucchini mixture. Pour in about 1 cup of the remaining tomato liquid from the can. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove pan from the heat and stir in the whipping cream.
6. Add the penne pasta and the sausage to the tomato mixture. Stir to combine.
7. Grease a casserole dish (11×7) with the cooking spray. Pour about half of the pasta mixture into the casserole dish and spread evenly. Sprinkle about one third of the mozzarella and 2 tablespoons of the Reggiano over the top. Top with the remaining pasta mixture. Sprinkle evenly with the remaining cheeses.
8. Bake at 375 for 20 minutes or until browned and bubbly.
Again, thank you to Ashley @ littlemissmomma for sharing this recipe. I'll be visiting her again for the Pancake Pumpkin Cupcake (say that fast...) Recipe...that will be perfect for Halloween Eve.