February 6, 2014

Cottage Bath ~ My 1st Gut Renovation {diy}

Today I am sharing my first major renovation of the bath in my first home.  You can see a post about the home here.  


The house was a 1915 bungalow, 750 feet away from the Barnegat Bay on the Jersey Shore.  The bathroom was in terrible condition.  Updated in the 1950's and not kept very clean by the middle-aged bachelor from whom I bought the house.


With the help of my then-boyfriend, I was able to keep the costs down by us doing most of the labor ourselves.  With the exception of electrical and plumbing, I assisted with everything and it took about 3 weeks.  My budget was about 2K, and after all was said and done, I went over by about $400.


Demo.  Was fun.  I did not mind ripping down blue tile and outdated fixtures.  What a surprise during tear down that the home was constructed with cedar (smelled delightful), had original cedar beadboard ceilings under the drop ceiling (swoon), and had zero insulation.

Even the floors came up.  We found old bottles, cans and newspapers under there.  I tried to save some of the papers but the turned to dust as soon as they were touched.

Everything was rebuilt, replumbed, insulated and put back together.  I can't even tell you how I missed the smell of cedars after the drywall went back up...


Told you it was gross.  The tub enclosure was paneling, even the fish appliques can't distract your attention from the filth.

Back in 1998, when this reno took place, there was a new store in our area that I wanted to check out.  Lowe's home improvement had just come to NJ, specifically Atlantic City.  About an hour south of us.  We had a Home Depot, but I was intrigued by this new home improvement mecca (we now have 4 within 20 miles).  So multiple trips south to purchase items for the bath.

This was also the era of magazines.  There was no blogs or Pinterest or Instagram or Houzz.  Hell, I'm not even sure I had HGTV back then.  I referenced BHG, Country Living and Southern Living and made thick folders from ripped pages.

 Everything was purchased at Lowe's with the exception of the flooring, tub enclosure and the original toilet we saved.


Beaded board (not the original, sadly the celing couldn't be restored) going up.  For a tiny bath, it was a charming, light-filled space.  I wanted to carry the beadboard throughout the room as it was an open-ended shower, anyone using this only bath in the home, could see into it.

I found a company via Country Living mag that manufactured PVC beadboard for outbuildings.  We measured and ordered panels for the tub enclosure. 


A half-wall separated the bathtub and vanity area....eventually a perfect spot for petite plants and decor.


An almost seamless transition between the wood-painted and PVC beadboard.


Getting rid of the drop ceiling, opened the room up for a vaulted ceiling, making the small bath even airier.


We brought it up more than 3/4's of the wall and installed a display ledge atop.


PVC beadboard for the tub surround.  Clear silicone caulk made for a watertight area.  Apologies for pictures of pictures, this was before smartphones as well {I'm scared of the scanner, as well}

I like to think I was a visionary!




The vanity (laminate) had a green, crackle-glazed look to it.  In 1998, it was pretty fresh.

I eventually replaced the shades on the builder grade light fixtures to crackle glass.  Again, on a budget and 25.  I'd do it all the same, but higher end.


Even though it was a small space, I spent 30% of my budget on flooring.  I chose a vinyl plank with a coastal/boardwalk look to it.  So easy to install, with help from a heat gun, it cut like butter and went down beautifully.  A breeze to keep clean.  A similiar option can be found here.


An antique wood and leather box, held Qtips and cotton.


My first purchase from Frontgate was a ceramic mouthwash dispenser.  A vintage soap dish held seaglass.


The ledge wrapped around the room holding some of my collected, beachy favorites.




I'm proud of this first renovation of mine.  I feel that even some 16-years+ later, it's still a contemporary, tasteful, relevant room.


Thank you for visting!
Furniture Feature Fridays
Dwellings-The Heart of Your Home
A Stroll Thru Life
Photobucket/




Prototype Mama
“ />

No comments: