January 14, 2014

Crockpot Sausage, Peppers and Onions {recipe swap}


Not to toot my own horn, but my version of Sausage, peppers and onions is too die for.  I am a Jersey girl, so I've tried plenty.  The secret ingredients are basil and whole grain mustard.  Try my version for your Superbowl parties and serve with crusty rolls.

Sausage, Peppers and Onions

8 Hot Italian Sausages
8 Sweet Italian Sausages
3 Tablespoons Olive Oil
1 Large Onion, Halved & Sliced
3 Large Green Peppers, Sliced
3 Large Red Peppers, Sliced
2 Garlic Cloves, Minced
1 ½ Teaspoon Whole Grain Dijon Mustard (I use Trader Joe’s)
4 Leaves of Fresh Basil, Chiffonade-d

Grill Sausages to get a nice dark grill mark.  Once grilled and cooled, slice sausages into 1-inch pieces.  Set aside.

Note:   I always slice my spicy sausage on a slant, and the sweet gets a straight cut.  Although I cook them together, I will still let people know which is which when it is time to eat…especially the kids!

In your crockpot (set on LOW) mix olive oil, garlic and mustard. After about 10 minutes, add onions to sweat, stirring occasionally.

After about 20-30, add all of your peppers and basil and set crockpot to WARM. Stirring Occasionally.

After about 20-30 minutes, add all of your pre-grilled sausage.  Continue to cook on warm for 2-3-4 hours.

Enjoy!

Thanks for visiting!

No comments: